Incremental data

• What is the best way to get incremental data daily using SSIS from another SQL Server?

Do we need to use SSIS? or do we have some other technic.

• can u brief about your requirement ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• yes.. I can brief the question.

I have 2 SQL Servers say S1 and S2.

I have to dump data from S1 to S2 but not all the data. I have to get data which is newly added or updated.

to achive this I want the best to get the data

• Using SSIS would be better

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Depending on the number of tables and the types of updates, replication may actually be your best option. SSIS is going to have a hard time dealing with deletes, for example.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• If the source data will not get updated/deleted, then you can use an ID column if there is one or an incrementing datetime column.

We use a query that will get the last ID or Datetime till which we have data. This you can do from the destination table or can have a lookup table.

Then this query will fetch all the data greater than the last value and the Max value in the source.

If you are using a lookup table, you need to insert this value (Max Value) in to the lookup table for getting the incremental data during the next run.

HTH

Edward.

• Replication would be a good option!!!! or you may use backups and restore option

• The problem with Replcation is while replicating data from one server to another, if anything goes wrong or any other disaster like power failure or hardware failure happend then again we have to restart the whole thing, please correct me if I am wrong.

• You are very right!!! in case of replication, if a failure occurs you need to get the snapshot of the whole database and then proceed....looking at this scenario, why don't you go for log shipping, here you need to apply the logs only and that too could be done offline...........

• In order to get the incremental data, first of all you need to store the last fetched date in a table and use this date as a basis to get your incremental data.

Source this data in a OLEDB Source component followed by Lookup and Conditional Split operator.

Making use of a Lookup and Conditional Split operator within SSIS will flag the records for INSERT's, UPDATE's and even DELETE's for you.

Thanks

Amol Naik

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply