Increase locks

• Hi all,

I am new to SQL Server admin. We are running Sql Server 7 service pack 4. We have had a lot of deadlock errors from the front-end application. The response from the application vendors were to increase locks on the SQL server, but I do not know where to increase this value.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Deon

• Hi

This will not resolve your problem, to me it sounds like a fundamental application architecture problem and the vendor is talking garbage, id be very supprised to see any difference what so ever. Please post the actual error to ensure that "I" am not talking garbage also 😉

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Hi Chris,

The error we are getting is:

DEADLOCK OCCURED WHEN ACCESSING EMPLOYEE RECORD, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER

To me it sounds like bad design as well, but at the moment I am forced to follow their recommendations (isn't that always the case!)

Cheers

Deon

• I think you can change it using sp_configure, but I agree with Chris - the vendor isnt trying a bit to help you, either out of laziness or lack of knowledge. Enable trace flag -1204, then after a deadlock happens check the error log to get the information from the deadlock. Post that and we'll try to help you fix the cause of the problem, not the symptom!

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• I agree with Andy and Chris. It really burns me when a vendor doesn't look into root cause and does a patch method of work. If you enable flasg -1204 you will have to stop and start the server I do believe, but if you will start Profiler and monitor the SQL STMT start and Deadlock info, this will give you much better details on what led to the problem. If you know roughly how often they occurr it will be easy to use, if not then Profiler may need to be stopped and reatsrted so you do not have a large image in memory. Also output this to file and you can save the events to give to the vendor then get them to fix and ask for a discount or some kind of reimbursement for doing their job (the last comment is my way of getting them back for not treating me the way I expect).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks everyone for the replies - Before doing any configuring I think I will monitor the deadlocks info using profiler - maybe I can get something more concrete to give back to the vendors...

Cheers

Deon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply