Incorrect datatypes in DSV

• OK, I'm a bit frusterated with BIDS. I'm working on creating a cube and when I create the Data Source View, it is not pulling the correct data types from the database metadata. Specifically, one of my lookup tables has a tinyint primary key. The DSV shows that value in my fact table as a byte and in the lookup table as int32. I've opened the DSV in the code viewer and tried to edit it manually with no luck.

Am I missing something simple?

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Really, nobody has seen this before or has any insights into what I'm seeing?

C'mon folks!!

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• OK, so I've found that this is a bug. The bug was reported quite a while back and there appears to not yet be a fix for it.

When you have a tinyint datatype PRIMARY KEY on one of your dimensions and the PK has the IDENTITY property set, the DSV will not properly pick the data type of that column.

My workaround was to remove the IDENTITY property from my dimension. I was able to do that as the dimensions in question held a small # of static lookup data.

John Rowan

• Good to know. Hopefully when we get thereI'll still remember. 😉

• An alternate workaround could have been to replace the table in the DSV with a named query and used the CAST funtion inside the query. I chose to change the table because it was easy and I'm building something new from the ground up here anyhow.

John Rowan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply