Inconsistency

• After observing mankind the last 3-4 decades I have changed my mind on the origins of mankind. I think L. Ron Hubbard may have been right. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (3/15/2013)

After observing mankind the last 3-4 decades I have changed my mind on the origins of mankind. I think L. Ron Hubbard may have been right. 😀

By that I assume you mean take loads of drugs and let others worry about the truth 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• What is truth? Defining truth depends on who you happen to be talking to at the time. L. Ron Hubbard's take is no more crazy than the story about a some man who was born by a virgin, walked on water, and made fish appear out of the sea from nowhere. Are those people who believe that on drugs too? 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Okay, drop the religious debate. It will go where we really don't want it to go really fast.

• No problem Lynn, since I am not that crazy about it either. However, with all due respect, the last time I checked you are not the forum police force around here either . Who are you to tell anyone on this forum what to drop or where a thread should go? 😀

• my "Strong Opinion": that I know what's right and what works

The "Change": what was right and worked yesterday may not be right and/or work tomorrow!

(I still think Change Control / Change Management of software is necessary though - seen too many "whoops" moments to think otherwise.):hehe:

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• TravisDBA (3/15/2013)

No problem Lynn, since I am not that crazy about it either. However, with all due respect, the last time I checked you are not the forum police force around here either . Who are you to tell anyone on this forum what to drop or where a thread should go? 😀

You know what, we are a self policing group here and if you don't like it take it up with Steve.

Also, I have come to learn the the phrase "With all due respect" means none is intended.

• Lynn Pettis (3/15/2013)

TravisDBA (3/15/2013)

No problem Lynn, since I am not that crazy about it either. However, with all due respect, the last time I checked you are not the forum police force around here either . Who are you to tell anyone on this forum what to drop or where a thread should go? 😀

You know what, we are a self policing group here and if you don't like it take it up with Steve.

Also, I have come to learn the the phrase "With all due respect" means none is intended.

Thank you Lynn, you are correct.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Lynn Pettis (3/15/2013)

TravisDBA (3/15/2013)

In my experience "self policing" is a slippery slope. It's also a two way street in the future. 😀

• TravisDBA (3/15/2013)

Lynn Pettis (3/15/2013)

TravisDBA (3/15/2013)

In my experience "self policing" is a slippery slope. It's also a two way street in the future. 😀

I have been on the other side. I have been called on what some thought was unprofessional comments. I even went back to those threads and apologized. In some cases also removing the offending comments.

• I'm sorry if you were offended by my comparison and I'm also sorry if I offended any Scientologist either. I was simply making a comparison. We were asked what we have changed our minds on over time and I did not know that was just absolutely restricted to just IT. I thought there was some leeway to express here.. Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. 😀

• TravisDBA (3/15/2013)

I'm sorry if you were offended by my comparison and I'm also sorry if I offended any Scientologist either. I was simply making a comparison. We were asked what we have changed our minds on over time and I did not know that was just absolutely restricted to just IT. I thought there was some leeway to express here.. Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. 😀

I wasn't looking for an apology here (even though I was offended by your comparision). I was trying to stop something before others took offense, and more importantly before others gave offense.

• No problem, it's all good. I have developed a pretty hard shell over the years, so nothing really gives offense to me anymore. Like I said, it was just a comparison response to someone else's comment. Sorry, if it offended anyone. No worries, it's all good.:-D

• cdonlan 18448 (3/15/2013)

... the definition of an information system as: people, processes, and technology (and in that order). I see a lot of "technology will solve all our problems" attitudes in big and small shops (mostly small), but without good people and processes (DR,Change Management,Security protocols,etc.) you won't get anywhere near your true potential organizationally.

I learned this a long time ago when I was working for a group of industrial engineers.

And I still find this true today.

-- Optimist with experience and still learning

• True story, but the rub with that is you got to treat and pay "good people" well, or they leave sooner or later and you are then left with "not so good people" running your business into the ground. i have seen this so many times in the industry it is not even funny anymore. You really do get what you pay for, good or bad.:-D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply