In-Place upgrade from SQL Server 2016 to SQL Server 2019 leaves older version

• My company has decided that in-place upgrading to SQL Server 2019 for test environments is the path that we should take for time consideration.  What I have found out after doing this in-place upgrade(and I have never done one before always a side by side) is that the older version of SQL Server is left in place. My question is should I remove the older version of SQL Server or should I leave it in place? I'm not sure of the ramifications of removing the older version.

Thanks in Advance

• What are you looking at to determine that the instance was not upgraded and instead was installed side-by-side?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• It sounds like you didn't actually do an upgrade. By default, assuming no instance names, running the install against an existing instance, it will replace it. You should go back and try the install again. You installed a second instance. That means it won't have your databases, logins, etc., plus, it'll have a different port, making connections from the apps have to be rewritten.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• run the select @@version and it will tell you which version you are running.

Are you meaning that when you look in Add/Remove Programs you still see things that say SQL2016?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply