IN or OR

• Yes, excellent question, but the answers should've been consolidated into 3-4 possibilities to make the correct answer less obvious

• Aleksl-294755 (11/3/2014)

Good question. Never thought about using the second option. I learned something. Thanks!

Same here. Thanks.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• trevor.ball (11/3/2014)

...to make the correct answer less obvious

Which correct answer? There are three of them:

a) Query 1 will run successfully [true]

b) Query 2 will run successfully [also true]

c) Both will give same result [can only be true if a and b are also true, which is the only reason I didn't pick this obviously correct answer]

-----
    a haiku...

NULL is not zero
    NULL is not an empty string
    NULL is the unknown

• I learned something new today. However, I don't think I will ever be using the second option because I don't think most people would understand that it works exactly the same.

• I have used in before and find it useful. Good question.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• ronmoses (11/3/2014)

Yes, I agree this seemed fairly obvious, but the fact that there are three correct answers (the first three options are all true) and I'm only permitted to choose one of them led me to conclude it must be none of those, since it could not be all of those. Not a well-designed question at all.

Technically, the first three options would only be valid correct answers if a multi-select had been employed. But since a single select is employed, then options 1 and 2 are wrong because they are not entirely correct. That means only 1 correct answer is presented and the design of the question is just fine.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Great question and nice alternative way to write an OR.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Interesting. will 0 in ('foo','bar') use indexes?

• I'm also in the camp of never thinking of writing it the second way. I guess it's a lesson in not being locked into one way of doing things.

• SQLRNNR (11/3/2014)

ronmoses (11/3/2014)

Yes, I agree this seemed fairly obvious, but the fact that there are three correct answers (the first three options are all true) and I'm only permitted to choose one of them led me to conclude it must be none of those, since it could not be all of those. Not a well-designed question at all.

Technically, the first three options would only be valid correct answers if a multi-select had been employed. But since a single select is employed, then options 1 and 2 are wrong because they are not entirely correct. That means only 1 correct answer is presented and the design of the question is just fine.

1 & 2 are also impossible because of 4 & 5. If option 1 is the correct answer, it implies that query 2 must fail, so option 5 must also be correct. Therefore, option 1 cannot be true. Similarly, for Option 2 to be the correct answer, it implies that query 1 must fail, so option 4 must also be correct. Therfore, option 2 cannot be true. Options 4 and 5 are excluded under the same logic. This leaves just option 3 being correct, no matter what the question was. An exercise in logic, not in SQL knowledge.

But I did learn a new way of using the IN clause. It never occurred to me to use it in this way.

• jdauphine (11/4/2014)

Interesting. will 0 in ('foo','bar') use indexes?

Since 0, 'foo' and 'bar' are all constant values, it will not. I didn't run it, but I expect an error because of a failed conversion attempt (SQL Server will try to convert the strings to integers for the comparison). I also expect that this error is raised at compile time, when the optimmizer tries to remove fallacies.

If you meant to ask about "0 IN (Column1, Column2)", then the answer is the same as for "0 = Column1 OR 0 = Column2", because IN is defined as a shorthand for a series of OR expressions. Which means that on a very large table and with very selective indexes on each of the columns, you *might* get a plan that uses two index seeks and a union.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• nice one, but unnecessary exercise as both will have same plans.

• Thanks - is this true all the way back to 2005?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply