In-Memory OLTP

• This question is for anyone with experience with memory-optimized tables and natively-compiled stored procedures in SQL Server 2014.

I have a stored procedure that among many of the queries, it updates records in a memory-optimized table (target) from values in another memory-optimized table (source).  These are staging tables, and the update is as follows:

update TARGET
    set  VALUE = S1.VALUE - S2.VALUE
    from TARGET T inner join
    SOURCE S1 on
    S1.ID = T.ID1 inner join
    SOURCE S2 on
    S2.ID = T.ID2

The target table has about 100,000 records and the source table has about 20 million records.  Column ID in the source table is hash-indexed.

My question is whether this simple update will run faster if I create a natively-compiled stored procedure with the update statement only, or if I keep this in the standard SQL stored procedure.  If it runs faster, is it orders of magnitude, or only fractionally faster?  I'm staying away from natively-compiled procedures in SQL Server 2014 as it is functionally very limited.

• This has got to be pretty darn easy to do a POC for. Everything you need is in place. Just make a new sproc that is compiled and time that compared to the regular version. I would not expect it to be orders of magnitude from just that change. Maybe one order, but possibly not even that. 

I would take time to make absolutely certain I have the best indexing strategy for the tables. And don't forget your bucket count guidelines!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Just piling on.
    It'll be faster if you use natively compiled. It won't be orders of magnitude faster, but it'll run faster. The question I have, if you have a situation where you can use the natively compiled procedures, why wouldn't you? I get it that they're limited so you can only use them in certain situations, but if you're within one of those situations, it's a win with very little down-side. Why not take advantage?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply