In Depth Learning at the PASS Summit

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item In Depth Learning at the PASS Summit

• I really need to work with my boss to see if I can get the organization to cover some or all of the cost to attend PASS one year.  In the precons that you linked to, there was at least one that I could point to as being relevant to my job, and I'm sure there's plenty of sessions during PASS that would be relevant.

As it is, I've got attending PASS on my "travel bucket list," I figure the wife can find things to amuse her while I'm at the convention...

• It's a good conference, and more social than most. Worth the trips at least once if you engage with the community.

There are plenty of other good conferences. DevConnections and DevIntersection have SQL Components, as do VSLive. Those are multiple times per year, but much smaller. I love SQL Bits, as my favorite, but it's in the UK.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, April 16, 2018 8:04 AM

It's a good conference, and more social than most. Worth the trips at least once if you engage with the community.

There are plenty of other good conferences. DevConnections and DevIntersection have SQL Components, as do VSLive. Those are multiple times per year, but much smaller. I love SQL Bits, as my favorite, but it's in the UK.

I've looked at those as well (OK, not SQL Bits.)

I need to find out if my employer will foot some of the bill for these, the only reason I've not asked is because my previous employer was of the mindset of "we don't send people to training / conferences because they (choose one:) treat it like a vacation and skip the conference / will use what they learn to find a new job / won't attend anything of use to us."  Which, I believe one of those happened at least once, so they applied a blanket "no company-paid for conferences" policy...

• I'm kicking myself for signing up without a pre-con, just to save money on the price.  I REALLY want to go to one, but now have to "sell" my boss (my wife, lol) on an extra day of food, hotel and gone from home.

Previous years pre-cons didn't excite me enough...this year has several I could benefit from.

Contemplating it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• Kevin3NF - Monday, April 16, 2018 9:13 AM

I'm kicking myself for signing up without a pre-con, just to save money on the price.  I REALLY want to go to one, but now have to "sell" my boss (my wife, lol) on an extra day of food, hotel and gone from home.

Previous years pre-cons didn't excite me enough...this year has several I could benefit from.

Contemplating it...

Always sell your boss early on this. If none are good, then you can report you "saved" the company $500.

• jasona.work - Monday, April 16, 2018 8:48 AM

I've looked at those as well (OK, not SQL Bits.)

I need to find out if my employer will foot some of the bill for these, the only reason I've not asked is because my previous employer was of the mindset of "we don't send people to training / conferences because they (choose one:) treat it like a vacation and skip the conference / will use what they learn to find a new job / won't attend anything of use to us."  Which, I believe one of those happened at least once, so they applied a blanket "no company-paid for conferences" policy...

I certainly think some people do this. There are a couple ways around this I've used. First, I'll say that I will come back and do a presnetation or two (couple lunch hours) on things I learned. That often spreads some ROI around to the others at the company. We used to rotate who could go, and everyone had to share, so that others that didn't go this time still learned something.

Two, it is a bit of a perk, but it's a tax deductible one for the company. This is a good way to give you something you appreciate without costing the company more. It helps with rentention and ensuring good people don't leave. I always point that out.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, April 16, 2018 9:39 AM

Kevin3NF - Monday, April 16, 2018 9:13 AM

I'm kicking myself for signing up without a pre-con, just to save money on the price.  I REALLY want to go to one, but now have to "sell" my boss (my wife, lol) on an extra day of food, hotel and gone from home.

Contemplating it...

Always sell your boss early on this. If none are good, then you can report you "saved" the company $500.

I approve the $$$, she approves me being gone from home.   3rd year in a row I'm paying my own way and not billing clients.   Its a career investment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• PASS is a bit far but in Belgium I recommend Dataminds Connect (previously sql server days).
    Enjoying the precon for the in-depth training about a specific topic, and the next day various short tracks to expand the horizon.

Luckily there also vendors who organize a miniconference like Microsoft Business Analytics Day about PowerBI

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply