Improper function

• Hi guys!

I have the following two test tables and have created the following function. My question follows these:

TestTable

ID Name

1 Test1

2 Test2

3 Test3

4 Test4

5 Test5

6 Test6

TestTable2

ID JobDescription Hours

1 Developer 10

2 Web Developer 8

3 Architect 12

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[TestTableFunction] (@name VARCHAR(255))

RETURNS INT

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @IDNumber INT

SELECT @IDNumber = ID

FROM EcentricTestTable WHERE Name = @name

END

How can one optimise the following query taking into account that any text could be passed as a parameter

to the function, not just 'Test2'?

SELECT * FROM dbo.TestTable e

JOIN dbo.TestTable2 n

ON e.ID = n.ID

WHERE e.ID = dbo.TestTable('Test2')

• Your function is a table, not a value. You're trying to compare a value, e.ID, to a table. You can't do that. You can join to your table instead, but you can't put your table into a WHERE clause like that.

Also, totally not understanding the need for the function here. Why not simply join  to the EccentricTestTable and filter on the @name value?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Grant

I have changed the Function as per your advice.  Do you perhaps have advice as per my original question posed please?

Kind regards

• As I said, why not JOIN to the original table? Embedding it as a function doesn't make sense.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Here's an example of what Grant is telling you to do, replace your function and query with this:

SELECT e.ID, e.Name, n.JobDescription, n.Hours
    FROM EcentricTestTable ett
    INNER JOIN dbo.TestTable e
    ON ett.ID = e.ID
    INNER JOIN dbo.TestTable2 n
    ON e.ID = n.ID
    WHERE ett.Name = 'Test2';

Your use of a Scalar function will slow everything down, and seems to have no benefit considering how simple it's code is.  Is there a reason you chose to use a function to implement this?  If there are multiple records in the EcentricTestTable with the same name value, then maybe use a subquery to ensure only one of them is selected:

SELECT e.ID, e.Name, n.JobDescription, n.Hours
    FROM dbo.TestTable e
    INNER JOIN dbo.TestTable2 n
    ON e.ID = n.ID
    WHERE e.ID = (SELECT TOP 1 ID FROM EcentricTestTable WHERE Name = 'Test2' ORDER BY SomeOtherColumn);

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply