importing to SQL Server from .txt

• oh man aaron, why did you do that? Now we hazard to leave out other names like dwain.c, SeanLange, jeff Moden, ChrisM@Work, and ofcourse others that don't immediately come to mind. Yes, there's a special group in here, and then ColdCoffee helped me a lot once too.

The key has been that those people who have trusted our motivation to learn and gave what we asked for, when we asked, and in a way that was digestable (baby spoons). I have grown tremendously as a result of those who helped here.

Yup, Phil.

• KoldCoffee (4/9/2014)

No Phil, that is not correct. You wrote to go to Advanced Editor of Flat File Source. But you didn't say to go to the Connection Manager for the Flat File Source. Very important distinction for anyone else who may read that.

This was NOT solution:

....from flat file source to destination, using the Advanced Editor to view the data types that SSIS is using as the data passes through the pipeline.

This was solution:

from Flat File Connection Manager, Click Edit, and go to Advanced and evaluate that the size of the property 'OutputColumnWidth' accommodates the size of the input.

Flat File Source and Flat File Connection Manager are two different things:-)

Ah yes, the flat file is the only exception where the connection manager dictates the metadata of the columns, not the source component itself.

But in the advanced editor of the flat file source you can see in the external/output columns the length of the strings coming in, so that might have given a clue.

Glad you got it resolved though, truncation errors can be a pain.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• aaron.reese (4/10/2014)

+1 from me

Phil, Gail and Koen are some of the most generous and helpful forum members on any board I visit and their opinions and advice have saved (or earned) me hundreds of pounds and weeks of work and their contribution is rarely recognised.

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users. Other folks worthy of a mention here include Lynne Pettis and even Joe Celko (whom we love to hate)

If any are going to SQL Bits in Telford, Shropshire in June, I would feel honoured to buy them a drink.

Aaron

Thanks for the kind words 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• aaron.reese (4/10/2014)

+1 from me

Phil, Gail and Koen are some of the most generous and helpful forum members on any board I visit and their opinions and advice have saved (or earned) me hundreds of pounds and weeks of work and their contribution is rarely recognised.

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users. Other folks worthy of a mention here include Lynne Pettis and even Joe Celko (whom we love to hate)

If any are going to SQL Bits in Telford, Shropshire in June, I would feel honoured to buy them a drink.

Aaron

:blush: Thank you for the kind words, I for one am humbled.

As for being at SQL Bits, maybe one day but I will still be in Afghanistan in June. Please, drink one for me!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply