Importing Access ACCDB files into a SQL Server table through SSIS

• I'm really terrible at SSIS, so I figured I would try something simple.

I imported data from a text file using the text connection manager, and it worked just fine. Same with importing from an MDB file - used Jet4.0 and it worked like a champ.  When I try to import from Access ACCDB files, it all goes to hell in a handbasket. It's odd, because now the text columns are of type NVARCHAR() in Access(?).  If I try to import into a regular VARCHAR(n) column, it fails and I get a conversion error. How do I convert from NVARCHAR to VARCHAR in SSIS? (Am I missing something obvious, or is this just a huge hassle?) What's super odd is that I can push the data from Access and it does the conversion under the covers apparently, because the inserts work. I could mimic SSIS by doing something like this:

1. Create a "front end" database with a connection to the SQL Server tables I want to insert into, and linked tables to the Access tables I want to import.
    2.  use VBA to change the connection string of the connected tables.
    3.  run the append query
    4.  repeat steps 2-3 in a loop until all the files are processed.

Has anyone here gotten SSIS to read from Access ACCDB tables? If so, could I have a hint? It's just baffling.

• I've not tried importing an accdb before, so can't help with specifics.

But converting NVARCHAR to VARCHAR is straightforward enough – a Data Conversion component is what you need. This will allow you to take an NVARCHAR 'input column' and create a suitably converted 'output column', which can be mapped to your destination column in place of the NVARCHAR version.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Oh, okay. I'll try it out. Thanks, Phil!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply