Import/Export SQL Server database to Oracle.

• When I use Import/Export feature of SQL Server 2000 to migrate SQL Server 2000 database to Oracle, SQL Server converts all table names to something like this:

"table name", instead of just table names without any quotes.

Because of this when the tables are successfully migrated to Oracle and when I run SQL Query, I have to use like this:

Select * from "table name"

instead of simply,

Select * from table name.

What's the problem? Why SQL Server includes double quotes with the table names and how to get rid of this?

"Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you're alive, it isn't. "

Richard Bach

• I think its because there is a blank in the name of the table.

instead of

select *

from

use

select *

from table_name

• When you're going through the Export steps you will get to a window that says "Select Source Tables and Views".  When you select a table you will see in the Destination column that double quotes are used.  Hit the elipsis in the Transform Column and then hit Edit SQL.  Remove the double quotes there.

Linda

• A blank char cannot be used in an oracle name.  The double-quote in oracle is similar to sql svr's square brackets.  If you create a table in oracle as TableName you can later access it as tablename or TABLENAME - they are identical. If you want to enforce TableName you have to embed it in "..."

Win

• Thanks for the replies. But I got the reply from the Microsoft Community and they gave the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=247750

Go to this link to know more about the double quotes problem. Though the article says about SQL Server 7, but it persists with SQL Server 2000 too.

"Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you're alive, it isn't. "

Richard Bach

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply