Import XML data into SQL7

• I need to import some XML into SQL7. Since SQL7 has no xml support I figure I'm going to use vbscript but I am having a hard time getting my head around accessing the individual elements so I can loop through the records and insert them into my table.

My XML looks something like this.

-

-

-

-

and I get it loaded using this

xmlDoc.async = False

xmlDoc.setProperty "ServerHTTPRequest", true

xmlDoc.load("http://somesite.com/download.asp")

for each x in xmlDoc.documentElement.childNodes

objExplorer.document.Body.InnerHTML = objExplorer.document.Body.InnerHTML & (x.text) & "

"

next

but x.text shows all three fields appeneded together so I need to access the individual elements to build my insert statement.

I am also open to any other methods of doing this, vbscript is one of my strong points which is why I chose this way.

• We can't see your XML because of the < and > in the code. You need to edit is to use the replacement text for them.

Do you have access to SQL 2005? If so you could use SSIS with an XML Source and a SQL 7 destination (using oledb).

• I will repost the XML when I get into the office tomorrow. If I had a newer version of SQL I could use the OPENXML and be done with it but alas I am stuck with this unsupported POS for the moment.

The xml is something like this

company

record

field1 data /field1

field2 data /field2

field3 data /field3

/record

record

field1 data /field1

field2 data /field2

field3 data /field3

/record

record

field1 data /field1

field2 data /field2

field3 data /field3

/record

/company

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply