Import table to Access

• I am trying to import a sql server table on my local pc to Microsoft access? I am pretty new to both access and sql and have not had any luck. Any suggestions?

• Use ODBC, and from the access, define an external datasource.

• Do you mean you want to make a copy of a SQL table in your Access database?  Or perhaps you want to add the SQL table into Access as a linked table?

To link a SQL table to an Access database, do what Zoltan said above.  Define an ODBC DSN (Settings, Control Panel, Admin Tools), and in Access use File -> Get External Data -> Link Tables... to link the table(s) you require.

• The alternative to Linking the table via ODBC is to use a DTS in Sql server.

In Access create a new table or erase and existing one.

In SQL create a DTS transform to copy all or selected fields from one table to the access table.

• Link to the SQL table if you want to be able to manipulate the data on the SQL Server.  Import the SQL table if you only want to manipulate it in Access.

Open your Access database, choose File | Get External Data | choose Link or Import. in the file finder box that pops up, click on the arrow for Files Of Type and choose ODBC Databases at the bottom of the list.  Map a connection to your SQL server - note these ODBC connections will point to your Master databsae unless you tell them otherwise.  Choose the table you want and you're done.

• I'd recommend the linking method which enables the data to remain fresh.  I have users here that "copies" the tables and then don't understand about it being a snapshot in time of the data. 

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply