Import / Export SQL Server 2000

• Hi! I am new here so please forgive me if this topic has been covered. I am new to SQL Server and I have what seems like a basic problem. How can I take a table that is on one server and copy it to another? Like import / Export in Access. I need to send a table from my server to another location on a CD. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Joe

• Check out DTS (Data Transformation Services) which offers, amongst other features, the ability to export data to text files (CSV or fixed-length) and of course to import.

There are other utilities, for example BCP (Bulk Copy) but I think you will find DTS the most user-friendly as a starting point

Enjoy

I have found it is possible to please all of the people all of the time if you do exactly what they want. Harold Macmillan 1961

I have found it is possible to please all of the people all of the time if you do exactly what they want. Harold Macmillan 1961

• DTS is the most user friendly but you need to make sure you take care of rights, indexes and such. If it is an empty table you can script it from EM

• Just right click over a table in Enterprise manager, then choose All Tasks > Export data.

(The same to import... All Tasks > Import data). You choose Text File from the drop down list of destinations and it will ask you for a filename. Choose copy table from source on next page of the wizard and the rest is fairly intuitive.

Nigel Moore
    ======================

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply