Import 2014 Registered Servers

• My dev box was replaced on Friday, as SQL 2016/2017 would not install on Win7.
    I have just finished installing SQL 2017, and would like to get my extensive list of Registered Servers back.

However, according to Microsoft Docs, it is not possible to import Registered Servers into SSMS 2017 from an earlier version.

I am hoping that somebody here has found a way around this issue.

• DesNorton - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:58 AM

My dev box was replaced on Friday, as SQL 2016/2017 would not install on Win7.
    I have just finished installing SQL 2017, and would like to get my extensive list of Registered Servers back.

However, according to Microsoft Docs, it is not possible to import Registered Servers into SSMS 2017 from an earlier version.

I've managed to successfully import a regsvr file created in SSMS 2014 into SSMS 17.3 no problems.

• anthony.green - Monday, December 4, 2017 4:09 AM

DesNorton - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:58 AM

My dev box was replaced on Friday, as SQL 2016/2017 would not install on Win7.

I've managed to successfully import a regsvr file created in SSMS 2014 into SSMS 17.3 no problems.

I don't have the .regsvr file - Forgot to do an export :crying:
    I do, however, have the RegSvr.xml file from the ...UserProfile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Shell folder

• You may be able to get away with the XML file, just done a quick compare against my regsrvr and xml and they look identical.

Make a copy of it and rename it to regsrvr extension then try to import it.

• anthony.green - Monday, December 4, 2017 5:07 AM

You may be able to get away with the XML file, just done a quick compare against my regsrvr and xml and they look identical.

Make a copy of it and rename it to regsrvr extension then try to import it.

Import reports success.  But nothing is imported.

• Does the XML file contain any content? Should be entries in the XML tag <RegisteredServers:RegisteredServers>, if not then you are going to have to re-create them from scratch and make a regsrvr backup on the off chance.

• anthony.green - Monday, December 4, 2017 5:49 AM

Does the XML file contain any content? Should be entries in the XML tag <RegisteredServers:RegisteredServers>, if not then you are going to have to re-create them from scratch and make a regsrvr backup on the off chance.

Yes.  The xml file has data.

• This post appears to indicate that I need to change all my connections to trusted.
    However, this does not appear to help.

• DesNorton - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:10 AM

This post appears to indicate that I need to change all my connections to trusted.

What about previously registered servers option instead (Right Click Local Server Groups, Tasks -> Previously Registered Servers)?  Does that yield any results?

• anthony.green - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:29 AM

DesNorton - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:10 AM

This post appears to indicate that I need to change all my connections to trusted.

What about previously registered servers option instead (Right Click Local Server Groups, Tasks -> Previously Registered Servers)?  Does that yield any results?

I am on a clean install of Win10, with SQL 2017, and SSMS 17.3. 
    Attempting to import previously registered servers results in "No previous Registered Server information was found on this computer."

I created a folder to replicate the original structure in SQL 2014, and added the 2014 xml file.  I then restarted SSMS, but got the same result.

• DesNorton - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:40 AM

anthony.green - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:29 AM

Attempting to import previously registered servers results in "No previous Registered Server information was found on this computer."

I created a folder to replicate the original structure in SQL 2014, and added the 2014 xml file.  I then restarted SSMS, but got the same result.

Unsure then, as its clean that may be the issue, would of thought the XML file would of been enough to rename it as .regsrvr extension instead of .xml as they look identical, but not got Beyond Compare to check and security restrictions prevent downloading it.

Looks like you will have to re add them individually manually.

• anthony.green - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:43 AM

DesNorton - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:40 AM

anthony.green - Monday, December 4, 2017 6:29 AM

Unsure then, as its clean that may be the issue, would of thought the XML file would of been enough to rename it as .regsrvr extension instead of .xml as they look identical, but not got Beyond Compare to check and security restrictions prevent downloading it.

Looks like you will have to re add them individually manually.

Thanks for trying.

I have over 400 instances to track. Taken a couple of years to put the list together.
    I see a long year ahead of me, trying to figure out each instance as and when i need it.

• I'm thinking add just 1 or 2 servers and then export the list, and compare formats between the old XML file and the new regsvr file that you export.   You might be able to massage the file to look like it's "supposed to look", based on having a valid example to work from.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• sgmunson - Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:01 AM

I'm thinking add just 1 or 2 servers and then export the list, and compare formats between the old XML file and the new regsvr file that you export.   You might be able to massage the file to look like it's "supposed to look", based on having a valid example to work from.

I started down that road, but there was just too much.

I resorted to shredding the xml file to get the details, and pasted into Excel for reference.  Then manually re-created all the folders and servers.

I now have a copy of the .xml and .regsrvr files on a flash drive in my drawer.
    Passwords are not an issue, as I need to look up a new password every time I access a server - they change daily.
    My biggest headache is keeping track of the list of servers/instances.

• DesNorton - Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:52 AM

sgmunson - Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:01 AM

I'm thinking add just 1 or 2 servers and then export the list, and compare formats between the old XML file and the new regsvr file that you export.   You might be able to massage the file to look like it's "supposed to look", based on having a valid example to work from.

I started down that road, but there was just too much.

I resorted to shredding the xml file to get the details, and pasted into Excel for reference.  Then manually re-created all the folders and servers.

I now have a copy of the .xml and .regsrvr files on a flash drive in my drawer.
    Passwords are not an issue, as I need to look up a new password every time I access a server - they change daily.
    My biggest headache is keeping track of the list of servers/instances.

Just a thought, but for future seekers of this info, might be worth posting what the differences in format are, as it might be practical to programmatically make the necessary changes.   I might be willing to give that a go...

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply