Implicit Conversion

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Implicit Conversion

• Does it? Not 2 rows 1 and 2?

Sorry, of course it does, looking at the second sample not the first...

• Interesting. The subtle difference between the two code samples provided makes all the difference on this one.

• A simple one to start the week and get my brain going again is appreciated. Thanks.

• This one wasn't simple for me. It takes a keen eye and some focused thought to get it right. I failed.

Thanks for the good question.

• Should have paid more attention to the QotD title.

• Nice. I let the table def blind me to the facts. 😀

• Without necessarily knowing anything about the conversions involved, you can see that the data being added comes from a single INSERT statement, where the input data is the union of three result sets each containing one distinct row .

Either the INSERT statement succeeds and inserts three rows, or fails with an error and inserts none.

But 3 is not offered as a possible answer, so it must cause an error and insert no rows.

• archie flockhart (5/31/2016)

Without necessarily knowing anything about the conversions involved, you can see that the data being added comes from a single INSERT statement, where the input data is the union of three result sets each containing one distinct row .

Either the INSERT statement succeeds and inserts three rows, or fails with an error and inserts none.

But 3 is not offered as a possible answer, so it must cause an error and insert no rows.

Except that the select at the bottom is DISTINCT ID, and the script inserts ID 1 once and ID 2 twice. So if the conversion worked, the correct answer would still be 2 not 3.

• Yes you're right - which makes it a better and subtler question than I had thought.

Yes you're right - which makes it a better and subtler question than I had thought.

+ 1

Thank you, Sasidhar!

Yes you're right - which makes it a better and subtler question than I had thought.

Indeed. It made me fixate on this point and select 2 as the answer - wrong!! :crazy:

• conversion type errors are display ..,

Actually in third part they give value 456

but if we give out put as varchar type '456' mean error wont showing.

eg:

DECLARE @tbl TABLE ( id INT, Name VARCHAR(5) );

INSERT INTO @tbl

SELECT

1 AS Id

, 'ABC' AS Alphabets

UNION

SELECT

, 'XYZ'

UNION

SELECT

, '456';

SELECT DISTINCT

id

FROM

@tbl;

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply