Implementing SCD type 1 & 2 using DTS

• Hi

How to implement SCD type 1 or 2 using DTS? Already implemented the concept using T-SQLs and calling them using Execute SQL Task. Now i want to implement this without using T-SQLs and DDQ.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• It seems like even in a DTS you're going to end up using T-SQL (Execute SQL Task).

I'm curious, why are you using DTS and not a sproc or a job (or possibly a trigger with SCD 2)? DTS seems like the slower way to handle this.

For the record, I should note that SCD is not something I'm familiar with so sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Everett

Everett Wilson
    ewilson10@yahoo.com

• Microsoft have an article on how they use DTS with type 1 and type 2 SCD (Slowly Changing Dimensions):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql2k/html/sql_busintbpwithdts.asp

I don't think you will be able to avoid using T-SQL. It would be nice if microsoft created task to handle dimension and fact table builds. I have had some exposure to the Cognos and Sagent ETL tool and they both have objects that will handle the SCD and linking the keys back to the fact table in the staging environment.

Cheers

Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply