I'm In Charge of Books Online

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item I'm In Charge of Books Online

• Congrats on the post! Perhaps some of the bloopers peopleole have complained about on here may now get sorted...

• Think this is actually a great move by Microsoft to get people, like MVPs, to be able to help out with the contributions on BOL. I've made a few myself and the process can be slow, sometimes taking a month or so before things are signed off for even simple changes. Allowing people, like yourself, to sign off these changes will hopefully streamline the process.

I've found that the documents have been really useful of late, with the constant feed of improvements from the community, and think that moving it to be able to be community supported was a good idea; due to the wealth of knowledge that users have and the passion they share for SQL Server. This is just another way those users can contribute, along with sites like this, and share that wealth of knowledge with others; and enabling them to do so in a timely manner means that they are more likely to continue to do so.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Damn it Steve, got me!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• From the article:

Don’t believe much of what you read today. Keep your head down and focus on code that you know is true.

Great prank, Steve.  To the above and even before the internet was invented, my Dad gave me a warning that holds especially true today...

"Half of all that is written is wrong and the other half is written in such a fashion that you can't tell."

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Jeff Moden.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

From the article:

<hr class="d4pbbc-hr" />

Don’t believe much of what you read today. Keep your head down and focus on code that you know is true.

Great prank, Steve. To the above and even before the internet was invented, my Dad gave me a warning that holds especially true today… “Half of all that is written is wrong and the other half is written in such a fashion that you can’t tell.”

I didn't even notice this was an April fools, what i got for enjoying the main part of the article and skipping the very end... /facepalm My points stand though, I actually think that Microsoft doing something like this would be great for the Github project.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I was already disoriented by the new website layout and now this! Perhaps this your way of hinting to Microsoft that you'd actually like to take on the job of maintaining Books Online.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Is it really books online anymore? I thought it was just called Docs now? Maybe that was the big giveaway for me that something was fishy lol...you almost had me with the v-badge comment as that's how contractors are handled. You getting the orange badge 😀

• A good joke, at least, I thought it was.

No, they're not giving permissions, but I do think that they approve and more quickly look through those submissions from MVPs and others that have a track record of trying to improve the docs.

I wouldn't want the responsibility, either. This needs to have trusted individuals working in approvals that have a job on the line and pay better attention to submissions.

• It sounded really cool, and I agree that it is a really good idea, though I was surprised you would have time to deal with it.

Was it also part of the April Fools joke that all of the links related to this editorial in the daily email took me to the Oops page?

• One advantage a MVP / Blogger would have in owning Books Online is that they would always be officially right.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Great Steve. I'll file this next to your previous best April Fool. SQL Server being available on Linux

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply