If you're confident about a change in your DB, triple check

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item If you're confident about a change in your DB, triple check

• Lesson learnt - never ever use the CLR 🙂

• Nice post. As ever the devil is in the details!

One suggestion I would make if anyone has to go through a database file move and consolidation is to double-check the storage.

If you have an underlying SAN then involving your SAN administrator can make life a lot easier. They will know what the physical storage underlying the presented drives looks like and whether it will support the IO load of the consolidation.

It may even prompt them to devot dedicated storage to SQL Server.:cool:

It's very easy to forget that there may be things outside of SQL Server that can affect the performance and effectiveness of SQL Server.

If you migrate a really old system imagine finding that someone installed a set of ActiveX components being called by the sp_OA stored procs or through SQL 7 DTS packages:sick:

• Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure you have not been the first and will not be the last to have this, or something like this happen when taking over legacy systems or migrating SQL files.

• Interesting article. As someone whose possibly facing a change, and considering doing more DBA activities, I learned from what you've said here, Hilda, thanks.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Thanks for sharing your experience.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Thank you for sharing the experience. I'm concerned that you have databases set to TRUSTWORTHY ON, though... especially since they're public facing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Dealing with CLR procedures is a black art. Be sure to document that so you will remember in a year, when one database is moved again!

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• Jeff,

I totally agree with on the exposure of the database to the public. The team I formed part with now it's very concious about this issue. We're taking all the steps necessary to prevent that, or at least I'd like to believe we are and every day we're looking for hole in out environment : ) I think awareness and preparation is all we can do.

Thanks.

• Brent Ozar wrote a SQL script called "Blitz! 60 Minute Takeovers" that is meant for DBA's taking over existing database servers and databases that they are inheriting. It's a priceless gem and I have used it so many times in the past when taking over new database servers and databases that I am not familiar with. It should be a mainstay in your SQL toolbox. Check it out at http://www.BrentOzar.com/go/blitz 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• I will definitely check it out. Thank you.

• Nice reminder.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply