Identifying last updated table

• Hi,

I have an application related to trades. The backend is SQL Server. When a transaction is carried out, it updates some tables in the backend. I need to identify those tables as the application is not created by us and hence we are not aware of the backend procedures.

Is there anyway in SQL Server, through which we can which were the tables updated (i.e. records were added / deleted / modified)

Thanks.

Sanjay

• Not unless there's some trigger on those tables that audits changes.

You can run profiler against the server to see what commands and procedures are run by the app. DEpending whether they use stored procs or embedded SQL statements, it may be anything from fairly easy to extremely difficult to trace what happens.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

You can run one of those scripts that counts records in ALL tables before and immediately after a time when you know the third part application is at work. Although you cannot see the effect of updated rows, chance are that any work will involve an alteration of these record counts through addition or deletion. Help it by adding new records in that application and then check for the tables that now have more records.

If you have not got too many tables, rename some tables and see if they make any difference.

So .. good hunting

Osama

• You need to run the SQL profiler and capture the trace for that application. You need to build your profiler to capture the calls from the application. It may not be practical that everytime the same set of tables get updated on a transaction. In some scenarios they may change based on the data involved and logic implemented. So you really need to use the profiler to build your test criteria and capture and review the trace.

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply