Identifying Enterprise Edition instances that are not using any Enterprise features

• I need to identify which of my many Enterprise Edition instances can be safely downgraded to Standard Edition. My understanding was that I could check that with this DMV:

SELECT * FROM sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features ;

GO

The documentation says "If no features that are restricted by edition are used by the database, the view returns no rows"

However, this DMV is also returning 0 rows for my 2012 & 2014 instances that are using AlwaysOn Availability Groups (i.e. an Enterprise-only feature), so when I run it against my CMS it gives me misleading results.

I've Googled this, but I can't find anything to suggest that this DMV has been replaced. Do any of you know of a replacement or better way to do this?

Thanks

• As the documentation says, this checks the *database* for enterprise-only features, not the server. AGs are server-level objects / constructs, not database-level.

I've not (yet) been able to find a DMV that contains instance-level enterprise-only features in a similar way to the database-level `dm_db_persisted_sku_features`, sorry.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Doh! That makes perfect sense. Thanks for replying.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply