Identify if index exists on partition function

• Hi SSC,

I'm working on moving a table over to a partitioned table. In a nutshell, I have something like this:

create unique clustered index UQIXC__MyTable_MyIndex with (drop_existing = on, online = on) on ps__MyTable(id)

This is all well and good, but in a perfect world, I'd like to only run that if the index is NOT currently residing on ps__MyTable.

I looked in sys.indexes, sys.partitions, sys.dm_db_partition_stats and a few other places, but couldn't find anything that jumped out as a way to identify this information. Does anyone know if it can be done?

FWIW, my somewhat hacky solution is just to look at sys.partitions and see if there are any partitions with a partition_number > 1

In pseudocode, something like this:

if not exists (select 1 from sys.some_asyet_unknown_dmv

where indexName = 'UQIXC__MyTable_MyIndex'

and residing_partition_scheme = 'PS__MyTable')

/* ... create index with drop ...*/

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.

Executive Junior Cowboy Developer, Esq.[/url]

• Can you use something like this?

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = object_id('schema.tablename') AND NAME ='indexname')

--Do stuff

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Well that's the first part of it, yes. But what I really want to check is if it's already on the partition scheme.

The table already has a clustered index which is just sitting on primary. I want to move it to a partition scheme, utilizing create with drop_existing = on. But ideally I don't want that to be re-built if the script gets run again, and the index has already been moved to the partition scheme.

So the script you provided is the first part, but what I'm looking for is a way to tell if it's on a particular partition scheme.

• I figured out a solution

if exists (select 1

from sys.indexes

where name = '<indexName, sysname, >'

and object_id = object_id('<objectName, sysname, >')

and not exists (select 1

from sys.indexes i

inner join sys.partition_schemes ps

on i.data_space_id = ps.data_space_id

and ps.name = '<partitionScheme, sysname, >'

and object_id = object_id('<objectName, sysname, >')

/* create index with drop_existing = on */

• Index name is not a really good indicator of index existence.

You may have many identical indexes, all with different names.

To check if an index with the same structure as you intend to create already exists you need to join sysindexes to sysindexkeys and then to syscolumns.

This way you may find if an index with the specified set of columns (name in syscolumns) in the specified order (keyno on sysindexkeys) already exists.

• Sergiy (12/7/2016)

Index name is not a really good indicator of index existence.

To check if an index with the same structure as you intend to create already exists you need to join sysindexes to sysindexkeys and then to syscolumns.

This way you may find if an index with the specified set of columns (name in syscolumns) in the specified order (keyno on sysindexkeys) already exists.

Two follow up questions:

1) Does my reference to the specific object id not already do that?

2) If it doesn't, can you point out why and if there's a specific reason to use legacy views?

• Xedni (12/7/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

Index name is not a really good indicator of index existence.

Two follow up questions:

1) Does my reference to the specific object id not already do that?

2) If it doesn't, can you point out why and if there's a specific reason to use legacy views?

1) No, it does not.

2) Because it refers an index by name:

select 1

from sys.indexes

It won't find an index on the same column of the same table but with different name.

As for legacy views - forces of habits.

And I hate columns named like functions (e.g. object_id)

• That's what you should be doing (using your beloved "non-legacy" system views this time 🙂 ):

SELECT OBJECT_NAME(ic.object_id), i.index_id, COUNT(*), COUNT(DesiredIndex.OrdPosition)

FROM sys.indexes i

INNER JOIN sys.index_columns ic ON ic.object_id = i.object_id AND ic.index_id = i.index_id

INNER JOIN sys.columns c ON c.object_id = ic.object_id AND c.column_id = ic.column_id

LEFT JOIN (SELECT 1 OrdPosition, 'C' ColName

UNION

SELECT 2, 'D') DesiredIndex ON DesiredIndex.OrdPosition = ic.key_ordinal AND DesiredIndex.ColName = c.name

WHERE OBJECT_NAME(ic.object_id) = 'T'

GROUP BY OBJECT_NAME(ic.object_id), i.index_id

HAVING COUNT(*) = COUNT(DesiredIndex.OrdPosition)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply