Iam not able to kill process

• I tried to execute backup job3 days back it was suspended. I am trying to kill that process it showing

SPID 71: transaction rollback in progress. Estimated rollback completion: 79%. Estimated time remaining: 109340 seconds.

the process id in activity monitor suspended

please help me out

thankyou.

• Wait until the rollback finishes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • All you can do is as Gail said - wait for the rollback to finish.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• is the rollback completion increasing?

Is this backup executed via a third party tool?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• As George stated, is the rollback completion increasing?

• I had the similar problem in the past. The problem was from a backup job based on maintenance plan. The rollback would never finish and new backup couldn't not be taken due to the rolling back. Had to restart the SQL to get rid of the suspended spid.

Back in the SQL 2000 days I have seen the similar problem which was caused by maint.exe running as extenal program and can not be part of the SQL rollback. I could fix it by simply killing the maint.exe process from Task Manager. Since SQL 2005 this is no longer an option.

I searched the google a few times and couldn't find a good fix for it. So worst come to worst you will have schedule a downtime to have a clean server again.

Alan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply