I restarted sql and now my database is "(in recovery)"

• Is there any way to tell how long this database will be in recovery for?

• I can't see the full question, so I'm guessing a bit. If you're seeing the database marked 'in recovery' it's either a long restart-recovery, or a problem.

Can you get the SQL error log and see what it says? If it's a normal restart-recovery there will be entries that say how far the recovery is and how long SQL's estimating the recovery to take. You'll see something like

Recovery of database Testing (Phase 2 of 3) is 45% completed. Estimated time remaining 201 seconds

If there's a problem recovering the DB, there should be error messages in the error log detailing the problem.

If you're not sure, post the error log here from the last restart up until now.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You guessed correctly. I checked the logs and it logged the recovery process every step of the way allowing me to notify my users how long it would be down. All is good in the world now. Thanks for your response!

• Glad to hear that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply