I reduced my poor performing query from 10 min to 2 now if I could only use it

• Ok so I will try to keep a long story short yet provide the details.

recently I was reveiwing some reporting services reports when I cam across one with a poorly written Query attached to it. the wuery was taking around 10 minutes to run.

long story short the report is used to pull accounts that are ready to be disconnected for non payment it was doing this by pulling the max posting date for each account from a very large table. the posting date field was not indexed so this was talking a very very long time.

So I changed the query to pull the last record for each account out of the large table using row_number and holding these records in a CTE I then replaced the large table with the CTE and poof the 10 min query now runs in 2 seconds. Fealing good about myself I set out to implement my improved query. Here is were things go all wrong.

After placing the query in the dataset in reporting services I receive the following message

The OVER SQL Construct or statment is not supported.

Ok so reporting services can not deal with the ROW_NUMBER function no big deal I will just place the query in a SP and call that.

OH Wait I can not create the SP because I am using a CTE!

I would have to terminate the create stored procedure to start the CTE.

Start bashing head on desk!:crazy:

So Here is the question, How should I handle this? I could take out the CTE and store the results in a table variable but I wanted to get some oppinoins on the best way to handle this.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• dan don't forget a CTE is just a named sub select...you can move the CTE equivalent into the query as a sub query.

;with CTE AS (select other stuff...)

select stuff from CTE

is the same as

select stuff from (select other stuff...)CTE

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Please post query, table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the replies

I am using the CTE in a join and I have taken care of this for now by dupming the results into a table variable rather than a CTE interesting factoid is that doing this actually took the Query from 2 second run time to 6 second run time.

Gail I apologize I did not post all the particulars since I have a working query my question more was what is the best way to use it since Reporting services apparently does not support the ROW_NUMBER function.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Stick the code in a stored procedure, call the stored procedure from SSRS. That way you can use anything you like.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• that is what I ended up doing but I had to chagne the CTE to a table varible.

Is it possible to put a CTE in a stored procedure? I kept getting an error since all previous statements are expected to be terminated before the with statement.

Dan

• Dan.Humphries (7/8/2010)

Is it possible to put a CTE in a stored procedure? I kept getting an error since all previous statements are expected to be terminated before the with statement.

Yes, absolutely.

As in all cases where the CTE is part of a larger batch, the preceding command must be terminated by a ;

Stupid example:

CREATE PROCEDURE TestCTE

AS

SELECT TOP 10 name, type_desc, create_date INTO #someTable

FROM sys.objects

ORDER BY create_date DESC;

WITH CTE AS (

SELECT name, type_desc, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY create_date ASC) AS RowNo

FROM #someTable

)

SELECT name, type_desc FROM CTE WHERE RowNo = 5;

DROP TABLE #someTable;

GO

EXEC TestCTE;

GO

DROP PROCEDURE TestCTE;

Omit the ; after the first select, and you'll get the error you mentioned.

Gail Shaw

• What if the CTE is the first thing? for example here is more or less what I am doing.

I tried placing a ; after the SET NOCOUNT ON but I get the error.

create procedure [dbo].[sp_rptCollectionNotice]

(@cycle varchar(2))

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

WITH PullMaxPrintdate (account,customer,PRINTNOTICE,BALANCEOWING) AS

(

select t.account,t.customer,t.PRINTNOTICE,BALANCEOWING

from

(

Select

c_account,c_customer,D_PRINTNOTICE,BALANCEOWING,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(Partition BY c24.c_account,c24.c_customer ORDER BY c24.D_PRINTNOTICE desc) as NoticeOrder

from PaymentTable

) t

where t.NoticeOrder=1

)

Select

--Insert lengthy account data here

from accountTable

join --there are multiple joins here based on need for details about accoutn and or customer

join --join to CTE to pull latest records

Where --this section is rather massive

Dan

• I'm surprised that's throwing an error, but you can just do

declare @thisdontmeananything bit;

with cte ...

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• you need a semi-colon like this:

SET NOCOUNT ON;

• Works fine (as in creates without syntax error) for me

create procedure [dbo].[sp_rptCollectionNotice]

(@cycle varchar(2))

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON;

WITH PullMaxPrintdate (account,customer,PRINTNOTICE,BALANCEOWING) AS

(

select t.account,t.customer,t.PRINTNOTICE,BALANCEOWING

from

(

Select

c_account,c_customer,D_PRINTNOTICE,BALANCEOWING,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(Partition BY c24.c_account,c24.c_customer ORDER BY c24.D_PRINTNOTICE desc) as NoticeOrder

from PaymentTable

) t

where t.NoticeOrder=1

)

SELECT ...

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/8/2010)

As in all cases where the CTE is part of a larger batch, the preceding command must be terminated by a ;

I order to not forget to terminate the previous command with a ; I have made a "rule" for myself to move the ; to the beginning of the WITH statement. This way I don't get all the "meaningless" parse errors I used to get.

select col1, col2 from table99

;with cte as

(

select 1 as col

)

select * from cte

• Lynn Pettis (7/8/2010)

you need a semi-colon like this:

SET NOCOUNT ON;

Heh .. some code reviewer I am. I just assumed that it was there because it was discussed.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Nils Gustav Stråbø (7/8/2010)

GilaMonster (7/8/2010)

I order to not forget to terminate the previous command with a ; I have made a "rule" for myself to move the ; to the beginning of the WITH statement. This way I don't get all the "meaningless" parse errors I used to get.

select col1, col2 from table99

;with cte as

(

select 1 as col

)

select * from cte

I prefer not to, especially when posting here as it gives the incorrect impression that a CTE must start with a ;. I'm getting myself into the habit of always terminating every statement with a ;, as more and more language features are starting to require them. Eg a MERGE must be terminated with a ;

Gail Shaw

• Actually a good point Gail. Now I have to change my bad habit again 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply