I Read Quite a Bit

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item I Read Quite a Bit

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• On the top of every Confluence document I ever write there is a small 2x2 table

• Last Reviewed: The date of review
    • Last Reviewer: The hyperlinked name of the reviewer

This tells me when the document was last verified as relevant and accurate.  The last updated date is a system value but that not reliable enough.

What I need now is something that lists all those Confluence documents that were last reviewed over 12 months ago.

• From the Article...

Yet, all the responses were either blatantly wrong, or answering different questions.

Heh... this happens during meetings, as well.  Someone goes off on a tangent or with some really bad information.  Frequently, it's someone at a high level and especially if you "follow the rules" for the meeting on when to talk, there are two problems... the bad information is already out there and spoken by a "boss" that's supposedly right and so even if you bring up a counterpoint or warning or whatever, it's already too late... the "minions have been programmed" at that point and the bad route will be followed, sometimes with horrifying results especially when it comes to "the direction we're taking".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• David.Poole wrote:

On the top of every Confluence document I ever write there is a small 2x2 table

• Last Reviewed: The date of review

• Last Reviewer: The hyperlinked name of the reviewer

This tells me when the document was last verified as relevant and accurate.  The last updated date is a system value but that not reliable enough.

What I need now is something that lists all those Confluence documents that were last reviewed over 12 months ago.

Great stuff. I sometimes feel like I should go back and rewrite every single blog post and article I've written (or, at least check on them for accuracy). This is especially true of the cloud stuff. It's true of everyone's cloud stuff. I don't complain about the cloud much (because I'm totally digging it), but if I had one complaint it's that. The info is always old. Always.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

From the Article...

Yet, all the responses were either blatantly wrong, or answering different questions.

Heh... this happens during meetings, as well.  Someone goes off on a tangent or with some really bad information.  Frequently, it's someone at a high level and especially if you "follow the rules" for the meeting on when to talk, there are two problems... the bad information is already out there and spoken by a "boss" that's supposedly right and so even if you bring up a counterpoint or warning or whatever, it's already too late... the "minions have been programmed" at that point and the bad route will be followed, sometimes with horrifying results especially when it comes to "the direction we're taking".

And this is why I sometimes get in trouble. I'll interrupt the boss. I've corrected the boss. Never on opinions (and oh, I've sat through meetings where the opinions were NUTS), but on facts that I can back up. Yes indeedy. I'll do it. And, of course, pay the price for it later. Totally worth it.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

From the Article...

And this is why I sometimes get in trouble. I'll interrupt the boss. I've corrected the boss. Never on opinions (and oh, I've sat through meetings where the opinions were NUTS), but on facts that I can back up. Yes indeedy. I'll do it. And, of course, pay the price for it later. Totally worth it.

Heh... yeah, me too, especially when stupidity seems to flow readily.   The really cool part about that is that people think twice about inviting me to a meeting.  That's also the bad part.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply