I post wrong place, no one answer??

• I know when we open data from Enterperise Manager select table then click return all data, will open cursor and it is slow then run query from QA, but our developer complain slow using both two EM compare one local server (same location with workstation and small size server) to the other server cluster server which in other place, but we have 4 t1 connection, and when they compare slow we ask check pipe only half full, should return around same time, but really slow difference around 8 seconds, so my question cause this slow is really distince?

Rachel

• I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

When you open a table in Enterprise Manager to see all the data, it creates a 'firehose cursor' to pull it in. Using the cursor, it will display a group of records at a time.

In Query Analyzer, the default setting is to not view data until all the data is on the client machine.  Therefore it would look like Query Analyzer is slower than Enterprise Manager in pulling the data.

I ask my developers to limit how much they pull all data.  Especially in Enterprise Manager as it takes a lot of resources and processing on the server that should be used for other processes.

Hope this helps,

Michelle

Michelle

• Thank you for the reply, in QA I am not use default setting(grid), so my QA return fast from EM, my developers not using EM also, but they had slow process try show me how slow is, and when I remote logon box, and it is fast from EM then from my client machine(which far distance from server)?  Any more suggestion to resolve this?

Thanks

Rachel

• Feifei  -

Are you using Enterprise Manager on the server to see all the records and then comparing that speed to using Query Analyzer on a local machine and seeing all the records?

If so, this will be MUCH slower.  With Query Analyzer all records are actually being written to the client from the server so it will take more time.

If not, please be patient with me and restate your problem again.

Michelle

Michelle

• Our developer complain slow processes, then ask me restore whole db in local server(in our company datacenter) to test compare their application with our power cluster server which sit very long distince from here, developer using from EM show me return from same table only 136 rows from EM for both server , which local server only took 0 seconds return all result in cursor, and our powerfull cluster server need 8 seconds return 136 rows data from EM, and they ask why, I check network circus, only half full, that means data should still very fast return out, I though 4 T1 should be very good already? Is distince cause slow? Or other reason?

Thanks

Rachel

• You cannot expect remote access times to be the same as local times.  Perhaps more testing needs to be done to compare things, but the remote server could be doing backups and who knows what else, at the same time putting a load onto it that the local machine doesn't have. 

Steven

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply