I Killed it...

• we had some work done on a test server which is also our report server. i never thought iis would be removed, but it was in order to install some other software, by the time I realized what happend, the report server was gone, i thought I could simply re-install iis and re-install reporting services and that it would all just come back... but it didn't.. asp.net (1.1) is re-registered and I ran the command line util to point the configuration to what it was, even the reactive got going, but I still do not have the virtual folders.. any pointers???

thanks

-- Francisco

• This morning I came in to find that my "Scheduled Reports" are running fine. However I am still at a lost on how to get back to the Report or reportServer directories so I can add / modify existing reports...

clues?

-- Francisco

• I tried following the steps as outlined in

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/mpearson/recoveryplanningforsqlreportingservices.asp

but now I'm getting this error after following the steps under

Scenario B: Single Server Installation

and

A) We have a backup of the Key File

the error message Reads:

This edition of Reporting Services does not support web farm deployment. (rsInvalidRSEditionConfiguration)

-- Francisco

• I KIlled the key and it runs now... I recreated the data sources and all runs from the admin login... anybody have a good link to setting up security? I want to add anonymous access to some reports... how can I do this?

-- Francisco

• Would adding the "Everyone" NT Group do what you want it to do?

• I do have the everyone group in there, My workaround was to set the Reports virtual directory to accept anonnymous logins, wich works, but now my NT users do not get authenticated... odd I think...

The permissions granted to user 'Domain\Me' are insufficient for performing this operation.

-- Francisco

• As soon as you set anonymous on within your virtual directory, all windows authentication is ignored, it's like it checks anonymous first, sees it's on and then proceeds without any further checking.

Do you really need anonymous (ie the users are not authenticated on your domain) or can you do this a different way using windows security?  As far as I know the only way to implement secure and anon is to write your own custom security handler (for report manager) or alternatviely, write your own front end (ie replace report manager) but this would require you to handle the security (anon and auth) yourself anyway.

Steve.

• that's just what I need to learn how to do... I need to enable internet access to the reports, how can I do this?

I am possibly skipping by accident the sections where I can learn to write my own custom security... as none of the msdn articles currently explicitly detail it... thi s is also for RS standard not enterrise and I thought only enterprise could have an extension writen for it, or am I still wrong?

thanks for any pointers links or keywords

-- Francisco

• Depending on your timelines, I would take one of a few approaches.  If you're short for time, I would write (or get someone else to write) a web application (asp.net, asp, jsp, etc) that either references the webservice (preferred but has issues) or just provides URL links to the URL provider (ie same asif you tpye http://yourserver/reportserver and then navigate).

If you have more time, and yes, enterprise edition, then you can write a custom security provider.  I've not done it but I wouldn't be guessing that it's a 2 day job

The positive of using the webservice is that most (current) languages will let you make references to web services, and then you can use object based coding to set up parameters and also render reports. Plus, it really is easy (even I have done it ).  Another plus, if you write your own app, you can leave the app as anonymous security but when making calls to the web service (ie to render reports etc) you should be able to impersonate a valid windows account, which means you can leave you RS install as it is (ie using integrated windows). The downside is if you want to render as html, then drill-downs and certain other links have paths embeded into them that make it hard to 'nest' them within your own app.  The downside of URL access is URL access, people can easily work out what parameters etc you've passed to reports and can start generating their own to see data you don't want them to see.

Steve.

• Steve,

thanks for the great help. I'm a little unsure of how to implement the websecurity, could it be as easy as calling the same url? w/ NT security?

-- Francisco

• I can't say for other dev environments, but for .net, I usually do something like the following:

• reference the web service (the url for this is normally something like http://yourmachine/reportserver/reportservice.asmx
    • this then let's you use objects such as reports, parameters etc
    • also when making calls to this, you can speficy the url and also the user and pwd to be used.  failing that, you could always use impersonation within .net (not something that i have looked at).

If you call the url directly (ie not using the webservice), you will need to be making the call as an authenticated user, which i think won't be possible for you (otherwise report manager would have worked for you anyway).

Steve.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply