I have sql server 2008, and need to upgrade to sql server 2008 R2

• Hello.

I'm a relative newbie on sql server, and apologize if this question is stupid, or I left out any important information.

But I'm running sql server 2008 standard edition on a windows server 2012 R2 host, and we need to upgrade to sql server 2008 R2 to support apps that are being migrated to this server.

I was able to find and download sql server 2008 r2 sp1 and sp3, and saw instructions how to slipstream the releases, but all said we need to first download sql server 2008 R2 RTM, but I can't find anywhere to download this.

I'd really appreciate any advice or information on getting the RTM, so I can do this upgrade on the dev server running on a VM host and test all the apps there, so we can plan the production upgrade.

• SQL 2008 R2 is a different version, so you'd start by buying new licenses for the new version. It's not a service pack.

Though to be honest, given that SQL 2008 R2 is out of support, at this point in time I'd suggest upgrading to SQL Server 2014.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks very much for the fast response.

I was afraid of that.

The vendor applications to be moved to this server aren't certified for sql server 2012 or sql server 2014, or even sql server 2008, only sql server 2008 R2.

I was told we have a sql server 2008 R2 license we bought when installing sql server 2005 on this box before upgrading to sql server 2008, so I've asked the operations manager what its license key, etc. was, so I can contact MS support and get the software.

Hopefully I can get this software, since we're legal(just need to prove it). 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply