I can't restore my backup

• I'm trying to restore a database from backup file POS.bak but it does not work.

This is the screenshoot of the error:

My friend make that backup in another computer (maybe another version of SqlServer)

Please help me...

• The backup came from a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance and you're trying to restore it to a SQL Server 2008 instance - you cannot do this.

Your options are:

1) upgrade/create a new 2008 R2 instance to restore it to

2) Logically restore the data by recreating the schema and inserting the data (a tool such as Red Gate SQL Compare/SQL Data Compare can help with this)

P.S. don't listen to any suggestions to backup the database again in compatibility mode - this is nonsense. You cannot perform a restore to an older version of SQL Server than it was backed up from

• First I want to thank you, for your clear explanation and prompt respons.

Second I want to show you why did it happen to me:

I have had installed Sql Server 2005 and there is different error message (error: 3241) than I suspect and get the Sql Server 2008 but not that.

Now I'm getting it and I hoppe it will work for me.

thnx again...

• Yes.. howard is right. you cannot restore database backup from higher version to lower version. We have faced this issue many times.

Only option is to script the whole database.Then import the data.

Importing data can be done in following ways.

1) import data using import/export wizard.

2) import data by creating linked server (drawback is data containing xml data type cannot be transferred by linked server).

3) u can generate insert scripts for all tables.

After this is done. U can use Redgate's sql compare and sql data compare tools to compare both structure and data.

Thanks,

Amit Kulkarni

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply