I am so depressed after I work on Question of the Day

• There's so much information to be found on the Internet. And sometimes it took some time before a real guru pointed me in the right direction. That's the way I did it, getting confident with SQL Server 2005. I'm not an 'official' DBA, but did it step by step, handling small challenges. my manager doesn't even know what DBA means. Most of the questions of the day are far too difficult for me, but my sql server databases are healthy, even with me not being an expert.

• No cheating here...this is learning. Thanks for the questions sqlservercentral. This is a great resource to get sharp with.....!

😀

• One thing for sure. For those of us who go looking for the answer before we click anything, the QoD sure can hone a person's research skills. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• And research skills are at LEAST 50% of the job. Probably much, much more than that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Congratulations Loner, you have confidence and are resourceful. Good luck on the job, do your best. Qotd is for fun, enjoy it. There are some questions that are poorly posed and some ill conditioned, some not worth the trouble, but you get to choose. Don't trouble yourself over something that has so little to do with anything. If you do a sodoku puzzle are you successful? Not really, it is just entertainment. You will do well with your new job because you have the desire to excel, keep that close to your thoughts.

Kindest Regards,

The art of doing mathematics consists in finding that special case which contains all the germs of generality.

• Loner,

It is like the two men in the woods, one asks "What do we do if a bear jumps out in front of us?" "I'll run as fast as I can" says the other. "You can't run faster than a bear!" says the first. "No, but I can run faster than you!"

With all the QoD you have answered, you are able to run faster than those around you to get the problem fixed when some big hairy problem jumps up at work.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Lol, Loner dont fret I dont think I have gotten 1 QoTD right but I do like to do the research to find out the answer.

I agree with everyone here that to be a good DBA, Architect etc. is to have good research skills + good foundational knowledge.

If you know the basics (and judging by the replies you have gotten before me you do) and have good research resources that is what makes a good DBA etc...

In my past experiences a 'know it all' is usually the person who says it 'cant be done' because they are so closed minded they dont want to even entertain an idea that could work or be modified to work for whatever your situation.

Lastly your concern for your ability to do well in 2005 tells me that you will put forth the effort needed to get the job done in 2005, again just reinforcing what others have said, once you start solving your companies problems in 2005 and gain more and more successes you will feel a lot more confident about your abilities in 2005.:D

• Loner,

Just wanted to take a minute and second (or third or fourth) all the people who have responded that research skills and being able to find the answers are what is important. You clearly have a desire to do a good job, which will translate into motivation to find an answer when you don't know one or one doesn't come readily to you. Just keep working at learning a little at a time and filing away all the great resources you come across.

Don't sell yourself short... you got the job!

• Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2008)

One thing for sure. For those of us who go looking for the answer before we click anything, the QoD sure can hone a person's research skills. @=)

They also teach you to READ the question and think about it. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten the answer wrong, sputtered about it, reread it in light of the explanation and realized that I didn't pay enough attention to the phrasing.

Of course, there are also questions that are poorly phrased, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

• I don't look at the question of the day as a test, but as a research assignment.

I try not to answer it unless I am about 95% sure what the answer is. When I get it wrong it's usually cause I read it wrong.

I don't ever just guess cause that wouldn't teach me anything.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply