How well do you really know your colleagues?

• Nice article. I agree that a lot can be learned from people during crunch time. However, you can learn a lot from them also when there is nothing going on. What about the DBA that has no projects and the servers seem to be running fine? What does that DBA do when he has a lot of free time?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• How well do you know your colleagues in a real disaster time? Well, in the army that's a very good question. who will do run forward and who will panic? Actually, there are two parameters: the first is the unknown. There is no way to really tell who will react how. That's a question that army officers deal with and they haven't figured out a way.

The second is: when people go through several "disaster" options, when people do the drill (disaster recovery for example) then they know what to do. It's that simple.

So you shouldn't ask yourself "how well do you know your colleagues?". You should ask yourself "what do I want my colleagues to know?"

Personally, when I fell I asked for a certain colleagues. She was as resourceful as I thought she would be.

How to survive air crushes

You can't predict a solider under fire:

• Im surprised no one has yet mentioned the Dunning Kruger effect. To save you the trouble here is an excerpt from wikipedia:

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the perverse situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence: because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding"

You cant judge a person's competence from their level of confidence.

As for how people react under pressure, this is reasonably stable personality trait. Stoic people tend to be stoic most of the time, highly reactive people tend to be highly reactive. Of course even the coolest person can blow up if she has had a tough week, no sleep, and too many fools to deal with.

• You cant judge a person's competence from their level of confidence.

True, but in many jobs, particularly with IT managers, this tends to be more becauue of the Peter Principle than the Dunning-Kruger effect.

"The Peter Principle is the principle that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence." It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of Hierarchiology", "inadvertently founded" by Peter. It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. This principle can be modeled and has theoretical validity. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out his duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence".

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• How someone reacts outside their "comfort" zone is a matter of great unknown. Even individuals cannot predict how they would react at the time or cope in the aftermath. The US Army developed many testing tools to recognize exceptional individuals (both good and bad kind), but after decades of trying out, the matter is still not settled. As I recall, the best one can hope for is trying to understand oneself first.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply