How Virtualized?

• 100% of all servers virtualized. Thank You Windows Data Center Edition!

• In my company we are 100% virtualized, include sql servers.

• We are 85% virtualized.  We would be closer to 100% which is our goal, but being in Healthcare, some of our software vendors still don't support virtualization.  We have also virtualized a SQL 2016 Always on multi-subnet failover cluster across our WAN for DR purposes.  Very fast response times across our 10GB WAN line.

• All database servers are virtualized, the majority of the other servers are virtualized.  The few remaining physical servers are legacy applications/files shares that are being replaced as I write this.

We will be 100% virtual in the next 2 months.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• With my current client I think about everything asides Oracle is virtualized.

Yet the most impressive client I had was running over 50 AAGs on a physical 2 Node AAG. 16 Cores spread over 4 Sockets  complemented by 2 TB RAM. That customer had one of those up to 20 Cores License Agreements and this system yet has to be topped in terms of licensing costs. We did upgrade the CPU to a newer Version (slightly more single threaded performance) and changed Memory Modules so we get from 1,5 TB to 2 TB.

And since I'm no VMWare Shop here we go: One customer went from VMWare to physical as soon as we got the new 64 Core Systems serving a 40 TB DB. Previously the customer did run single VMs on hosts to be sort of able to migrate the VM to a spare host.
    But since VMWare and especially most "backup your VMWare VM" Solutions can impact load behavior, this was completely removed and SQL Backups all the way on the new physical hosts.
    Because of those wonderful backup solutions (I don't give a damn if Product XYZ has less problems, impact = gtfo SQL Server.) deployed in the managed vDC, I spent my Christmas 2018 explaining to the service provider over and over again that time based sensivity (load at 10 PM = 12 hours, same load at 10 am = 1,5h) is not from within our code. Of course no one believed me so we had to do a full code review (which was fine because I knew there is nothing popping up). 2 Months and endless Meetings later it was aknowledged that their chosen backup solution IS the cause of issue.

I have no objections to Virtualization at all, just those "Incredible fuck your backup" solutions drive me crazy, the above mentioned solution does not just impact performance, it can write those backups successfully but you won't be able to do a restore.
    Not going to elaborate any further how I feel about this, otherwise even some VMWare folks might be pissed (ESX 6.5 Update 1 was sponsored by us, we ran into a PSOD which didn't provide any output, after 2 Weeks VMWare acknowledged this bug and for once actually provided a rather quick fix. Cool part about the bug: You could simply copy a backup from one drive to another on the same VM and the whole thing would get to a stop, which is awesome if you intend to move DB Files to different volumes).

• I'll say 98% virtualized - including SQL Server.  We've got a couple legacy systems that should be retiring or being migrated this year which should bring us up to 100%.

• 100%

• 100% of all SQL Server that we have installed are now Virtualised

• 2 out of 73 are physical.

The majority of our SQL servers, including Prod ones, have been virtualised for at least 10 years.

• Amazing how this has changed over the years.

How long until the cloud becomes a majority?

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply