How to you run/activate a Stored Procedure

• I am new to SQL, Now that I have created a Stored Procedure to create a view and compare the view to existing tables and if different and new records.  How to I launch it automatically?  Do I have to create a function to call the store procedure?

What is the best apprach.

I have create a Stored procedure in Query Analyzer, When I copy it into a new Stored Procedure and apply it, close it, then reopen it the new procedure doesn’t contain the info I just pasted, Why?  Currently this file is saved as a .sql file – what is the best approach to executing this  if not from a stored procedure?

Karen

Here is my code:

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

GO

ALTER  PROCEDURE SiteManager_Import

AS

IF EXISTS (SELECT TABLE_NAME

FROM   INFORMATION_SCHEMA.VIEWS

WHERE  TABLE_NAME = N'vwProject_Type')

DROP VIEW vwProject_Type

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT TABLE_NAME

FROM   INFORMATION_SCHEMA.VIEWS

WHERE  TABLE_NAME = N'vwProject_Type')

DROP VIEW vwProject_Type

GO

CREATE VIEW vwProject_Type

AS

SELECT Q1.ID ProjTypeID, Q1.DESCR, Q1.PROJ_DESCR_CATEGORY, Q1.PROJ_CLASS, Q1.CPN

FROM SiteManager1..APPPCT.PROJECT_TYPE as Q1

LEFT JOIN ProjectTypes ON Q1.ID = ProjectTypes.ProjectTypeCode

WHERE ((ProjectTypes.ProjectTypeCode) Is Null)

GO

SET NOCOUNT ON

INSERT INTO dbo.ProjectTypes ( ProjectTypeCode, ProjectTypeDescrip, ProjectDescripShort, ProjectClass,

CapitalProjectNum, DateCreated, UserCreated, DateModified, UserModified)

(SELECT     ProjTypeID, DESCR, PROJ_DESCR_CATEGORY, PROJ_CLASS, CPN,

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AS DateCreated, 'Import' AS UserCreated,

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AS DateModified, 'Import' AS UserModified

FROM         vwProject_Type)

GO

Drop View vwProject_type

Thanks in advance,

Karen

• Ok. From reading your code I'm not sure if you want the view or a stored proc? No reason to create a view - just use a select in the stored procedure. You could probably re-write this as a stored proc and it would work fine. A view is used in a different way - for example, as a security tool. If your accounting dept should not see all of the numbers in table, you could create a view that would show them just the numbers they need to see.

Get rid of the "GO" statements from inside the procedure. GO is for batch processing and you are not batch processing. That's probably why when you open the stored proc again it looks unfinished. It is saved to just the first GO.

Bon chance avec la.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• If there is a properly formed sproc existing in the library, how do you execute it? (Using the Enterprise Manager)

• Not sure what you mean by "launch it automatically" ?!

Can you not just "EXEC SiteManager_Import" in your QA ?!

Also, if you outline your goals it would help - a cursory look at the procedure suggests that it might be "overkill" for whatever you want to accomplish!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Once you have created a proper stored procedure, you can run it several ways.  Here are a few of the most common:

1. In Query Analyzer, type in the name of the proc, highlight it and press F5

2. Create a scheduled job to run the proc.

3. In a program, (VB, ASP, .Net), call the stored procedure with a command object.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply