How to use DB names dynamically?

• Hi,

I want to use DB names dynamically.

e.g. SELECT * FROM MYDB..MYTABLE. Here MYDB and MYTABLE are parameters.

I can use EXEC or sp_executesql for this.

But I just want to know is there any way of doing it without constructing the full query as NVARCHAR and then executing it?

Thanks

Niranjan

• Normally if someone is looking to write this kind of dynamic code it can be rewritten so that the column names/database names are actually contained within the rows.

e.g. I've seen loads of the following:

10 tables named Counter1, counter2, counter3 etc

10 tables named salesAmerica, salesEurope etc etc

These table names should be data values within columns. So the above should be:

Counter - with an additional column called counternumber

Sales - with an additional column called Region

If you can't redesign like this, then you'll have to use dynamic SQL - you can't parameterise any of the structure of the database.

Dave Hilditch

• There is an undocumented stored procedure called sp_msforeachdb. Basically it will execute up to 3 commands for each database.

EXEC sp_msforeachdb 'DBCC CHECKDB(?)'

EXEC sp_msforeachdb @command1 = 'Print "Listing ?"', @command2='USE ?;EXEC sp_dir'

The ? is a placeholder that SQL will replace with the name of each database.

-From The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL by Ken Henderson

You can use Enterprise Manager, drill to the Master database, expand down to stored procedures and this one (and sp_msforeachtable) is listed. Right click on it and select properties to see the actual command.

-SQLBill

• I also suggest doing a search for msforeachdb on this site and maybe google'ing it for more information.

-SQLBill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply