How to upload an rdl from SSRS

• Hi,

According to a number of places on the web, to add a custom report in SQL Server, you just have to go to Reports to custom reports then add you rdl.

However, when I do that I get the following message, which I am not sure what it means or what I can do about it.

Error message:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Reports)"

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Ed

• Make sure you have uploaded the datasource for the report before uploading the report. If you are using a shared datasource that already exists, make sure it's referenced correctly in the report. It's usually related to that (datasource) when the error happens when uploading a report. You can often see the reference to the datasource in the error in the reporting services log file prior to the object reference not set error.

Sue

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply but in the custom report section of SQL Server it only allows you to upload an rd. file.

• Doesn't matter as a report still needs a datasource or it needs to be embedded in the report. I would check the reporting services log and see if there is a reference regarding the datasource before the object reference error.

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply