How to upgrade to 2016 AlwaysON from SQL Server 2012???

• Hi guys, I'm looking for the best way to go from existing 2012 Enterprise AlwaysON Cluster to SQL 2016 Enterprise AlwaysON .

Existing setup:

2 nodes with OS 2012R2 and SQL Server 2012 Enterprise on latest service pack.

Goal for new setup:

Purchased 2 new servers that I want to be the final 2 new servers.

Have built the new servers with OS Server 2012 R2

Have installed SQL server 2016 Enterprise on both.

Theory:

1: Move the primary role to the secondary node, and upgrade the existing node to SQL 2016 Enterprise

2: Move the primary role back to the primary node that I just upgraded, and then upgrade node 2 to SQL 2016 Enterprise

3: Add one off the new server to the existing cluster and join it to the AlwaysON cluster. Ensure synchronization.

4: Add the second new server to the existing cluster and join it to the AlwaysON cluster. Ensure synchronization.

5: Remove the old servers from the cluster.

Reality as we speak - and current problem:

As soon as I move the primary role back to the primary node, I experience problems with the server unable to synchronize the database:

Error is: "At least one availability database on this availability replica has an unhealthy data synchronization state. If this is an asynchronous-commit availability replica, all availability databases should be in the SYNCHRONIZING state. If this is a synchronous-commit availability replica, all availability databases should be in the SYNCHRONIZED state."

Does anyone know the best way to upgrade existing AlwaysON SQL 2012 setup to SQL 2016 on new hardware?

Regards:

Rasser

• Hang on...

You repeatedly mention Always On cluster, and then ask about SYNCHRONIZING. Which do you have, Always On Failover Cluster or Always On Availability Groups?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have AlwaysOn availability group

• What is version of primary, and what is version of secondary?

You will have an error if the primary is 2016 and secondary is 2012.

Catch-all queries done right [/url]
    Gail Shaw's Performance Blog[/url]

• you can upgrade the primary to 2016 after removing second node from "always on group".

upgrade the second one and try joining it back with upgraded node 1. this will take some time to bring all DB's to sync.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• Hey guys,

This has been sorted out. Ended up building a new AG from scratch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply