How to update Product description regularly ?

• Hi,

We have an Excel sheet with product number and the new product description.

A product table in our DB has old product description. So I want to update it with the Excel sheets data of new product description.

So, what I do now is I bring the Excel sheet into SQL server DB as another table, and join it with product table on product number as key, and I run update scripts to update the description.

Now I want to automate it on a regular basis, like whenever we get a new Excel sheet; then we should just run a job and it should be done.

We can always keep the name of Excel sheet, columns as same so that it runs properly every time.

How can I achieve this by SQL server agent/SSIS?

ANY help?

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (8/24/2011)

Hi,

We have an Excel sheet with product number and the new product description.

A product table in our DB has old product description. So I want to update it with the Excel sheets data of new product description.

So, what I do now is I bring the Excel sheet into SQL server DB as another table, and join it with product table on product number as key, and I run update scripts to update the description.

Now I want to automate it on a regular basis, like whenever we get a new Excel sheet; then we should just run a job and it should be done.

We can always keep the name of Excel sheet, columns as same so that it runs properly every time.

How can I achieve this by SQL server agent/SSIS?

ANY help?

Regards,

Sushant

In a Data Flow create an Excel source

Use a Data Conversion transform to do any necessary type casting from Excel to SQL/SSIS

Use a Lookup to your Product table.

Use a Conditional Split to evaluate the need for description update.

Use an OLEDB Command to update the description

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply