How to turn on DDL Auditing?

• Guys, I was planning to turn on DDL auditing to monitor my servers better. Is there any way to do this?

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• Define what you mean by DDL Auditing? You can easily monitor most DDL commands with DDL Triggers in SQL Server 2005. There are plenty of articles out there that cover how to actually implement them. The BOL topics listed below are good references for them. I use DDL Triggers in some development work to help developers track the changes that they have made along their development cycle, which helps them to better package them for deployment into QA and or Production.

DDL Triggers

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190989.aspx

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• What I meant was like when you want to see if there are failed logins in the logs, you basically go to the server and then right click properties. From there checking the audit failed logins only.

So, I want to do something similar for DDL actions. I just need to know if something was done by my developers, it should log it in my logs as well. Thats all.

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• You would still need to create a DDL Trigger for the actions you want to audit, and then you can use RAISERROR and specify the WITH LOG option to send it to your logs. There is no other mechanism that will do what you are asking.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Check this once:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Auditing/62126/

DDL triggers will help you to audit database/server level ddl statements.

MJ

• Well, since there is no way other than loading the scripts in the server itself, I shall try it then.

• There's nothing similar to audit logins for anything else. If you want to track DDL changes, you'll have to use a DDL trigger or a server-side trace that's permanently running. The triggers are easier to use and have less overhead.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply