How to test my new sql server?

• I just installed ms sql 2003 server and I have an XP client on the same network. How do I test the coonection of my client XP to the server? I can ping it and access the Windows server but I need to know if the SQL server can be access by my XP to test connectivity. Is there any Windows XP utility I can use like the ODBC and how?

I am a newbie and I will appreciate a lot any help. tia

• XP needs to be the "Pro" version or higher to work as a client.

• rgerald 53299 (3/8/2011)

XP needs to be the "Pro" version or higher to work as a client.

I'm not sure what you mean by that; as long as the driver, whether SQL SQLNCLI or the SQL SQLOLEDB, any windows operating system, regardless of versions, would be able to connect;

maybe you mean as an RDP client(Remote Desktop?)

the OP posted in the Compact Edition forum, which i think was just an oversight...but if it is Compact Edition specific,, maybe there's a restriction on the sdb database file I'm not aware of?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I have XP sp 3. What should I do next?

• I would probably start by installing an MS SQL Client such as the express version of SSMS and see if the client application can communicate with the SQL Server

Director of Transmogrification Services
  • Mad Myche (3/9/2011)

I would probably start by installing an MS SQL Client such as the express version of SSMS and see if the client application can communicate with the SQL Server

thank you sir... i will try this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply