How to tell if an SSL certificate is already bound

• Hello experts,

I want to see if an SSL certificate is already bound to SQL Server in order to know whether or not I need to restart the SQL Server service. I did the following:

1. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, right-click on "Protocols for MSSQLSERVER" and select Properties.
    2. Click on the Certificate tab.
    3. Click the "Certificate:" dropdown and select the certificate in question.

Does this mean that the certificate is already bound and I don't have to restart the service? Or is there another way to check this?

Thanks for any help.

-- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• If I remember right, the certificate is bound then for all new connections.

This is easy to test by connecting to the database instance with SSMS with and without the "Encrypt Connection" checkbox marked off.  If it is checked, it should use the SSL certificate.

If I remember right, you do not need to restart the instance, but all existing connections will be unencrypted.

Ntoes:

• SSL is used to encrypt data in motion.
    • You may need to update any applications that connect to the SQL instance to connect using encryption

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply