How to split count of salespeople who had sales vs no sales?

• What's the cleanest way to create a query that has 2 fields: the total count of salespeople who had zero sales & the total count of salespeople who had more than zero sales WHERE the sales date equals today?  The query I created works via temp tables, but I'd prefer to create a better query, if possible.  

I'll be working with 2 tables: "Transactions", which contains our sales & "Employees" (which are the salespeople).  Each record in this table equals 1 qty sold
    dbo.Transactions table:
    TransactionId | EmployeeId   |  TransactionDate 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1        |     12345  |   3/22/17
    2        |     67890  |   3/22/17
    3        |     12345  |   3/20/17
    4        |      67890 |   3/22/17

dbo.Employees table:
    EmployeeId | Name 
    ----------------------------------------------------
    12345  | John Smith
    67890 | Amy Andrews
    99999 | Paul Jones

So, in the above, on 3/22/17, I have 1 employee with 2 sales.  1 with 1 sale.  And 1 with no sales.  I would like my results to look like the following, if I were to run this query on 3/22/17:
    Total Employees with Sales       |     Total Employees with No Sales
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2    |   1

What's the cleanest way to do this?
    Thanks

• No need for temporary tables, you can do this with a simple aggregate and CASE statement:
    SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT CASE WHEN T.TransactionId IS NOT NULL THEN E.EmployeeId ELSE NULL END) AS EmployeesWithSales,
           COUNT(DISTINCT CASE WHEN T.TransactionId IS NULL THEN E.EmployeeId ELSE NULL END) AS EmployeesWithoutSales
    FROM dbo.Employees E
        LEFT JOIN dbo.Transactions T on E.EmployeeId = T.EmployeeId
    WHERE T.TransactionDate = CAST(GETDATE() AS date);

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:50 AM

No need for temporary tables, you can do this with a simple aggregate and CASE statement:
    SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT CASE WHEN T.TransactionId IS NOT NULL THEN E.EmployeeId ELSE NULL END) AS EmployeesWithSales,
           COUNT(DISTINCT CASE WHEN T.TransactionId IS NULL THEN E.EmployeeId ELSE NULL END) AS EmployeesWithoutSales
    FROM dbo.Employees E
    WHERE T.TransactionDate = CAST(GETDATE() AS date);

You might need to add 
    OR T.TransactionDate is NULL
    to your predicate, or the LEFT JOIN is pointless.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:38 AM

Thom A - Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:50 AM

No nYou're rgeed for temporary tables, you can do this with a simple aggregate and CASE statement:
    FROM dbo.Employees E
    WHERE T.TransactionDate = CAST(GETDATE() AS date)
       OR T.TransactionDate IS NULL;

You might need to add 
    OR T.TransactionDate is NULL
    to your predicate, or the LEFT JOIN is pointless.

You're so very right (as always), Phil. My brain has been less than engaged all day today (been dealing with my property purchasing instead, lol). Corrected.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:43 AM

You're so very right (as always), Phil. My brain has been less than engaged all day today (been dealing with my property purchasing instead, lol). Corrected.

Not so sure about the 'as always', but thanks🙂 Property purchasing is definitely more worthy of your attention, good luck.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply