How to sort sql result set like attached image

• Above is my sql query set which i want to sort like below

My original query is this (means it should be sorted first by project id , then inside that project id it should be sorted to ownstaffID :

SELECT * from (

SELECT dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.GrpID, dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.CategName, dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.SubCategName ,

dbo.d_project_p.proj_name AS ProjectName , MapGrpsToSysFunctions.ProjID AS PROJID , 0 AS OwnStaffID

FROM dbo.MapSysGroupToUser INNER JOIN

dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions ON dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions.Grp_Usr_ID = dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.GrpID INNER JOIN

dbo.d_project_p ON dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions.ProjID = dbo.d_project_p.proj_id

WHERE (dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.Is_Dell IS NULL) AND (dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.OwnStaffID IS NULL) AND

(dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions.Do_ID = 3) AND

(dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.OwnStaffID IS NULL)

UNION

SELECT dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.GrpID, 'OWN STAFF TEAM' AS CategName, dbo.d_office_title.Description as SubCategName, dbo.d_project_p.proj_name AS ProjectName ,

dbo.d_project_p.proj_id AS PROJID

,MapSysGroupToUser.OwnStaffID FROM dbo.MapSysGroupToUser INNER JOIN

dbo.d_office_title ON dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.OwnStaffID = dbo.d_office_title.ID INNER JOIN

dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions ON dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions.Grp_Usr_ID = dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.GrpID INNER JOIN

dbo.d_project_p ON dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions.ProjID = dbo.d_project_p.proj_id

WHERE (dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.Is_Dell IS NULL) AND (dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.OwnStaffID IS NOT NULL) AND (dbo.MapGrpsToSysFunctions.Do_ID = 3)

AND (dbo.MapSysGroupToUser.OwnStaffID IS NOT NULL)

) t

• Please post table scripts, sample data and expected output. Screenshot are not good enough: we cannot copy and paste code from your screenshots.

See http://spaghettidba.com/2015/04/24/how-to-post-a-t-sql-question-on-a-public-forum/ for guidance.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Notwithstanding the above request, it looks like the column you are trying to sort on is an INT and you want to sort it as if it were a VARCHAR().

So CAST the column to a VARCHAR and ORDER BY that.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• To me, it looks like you want

ORDER BY ProjID, OwnStaffID DESC

This will sort by ProjID and within ProjID it will sort by OwnStaffID descending.

Dre

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Or maybe something like this:

ORDER BY ProjID, NULLIF(CategName, 'OWN STAFF TEAM')

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I also considered the following in case he wanted zeroes last, but the rest in ascending order (assuming that OwnStaffID is never negative).

ORDER BY ProjID, SIGN(OwnStaffID) DESC, OwnStaffID

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply