How to shut down a SQL 2005 Failover Cluster ?

• What are the proper procedures of shut down a SQL 2005 Failover Cluster ?

Method 1

Go to Cluster Administrator,

Stop all SQL related resources, eg. : SQL IP Address, SQL Network Name, SQL Server, SQL Server Agent, SQL Server Fulltext, MSDTC IP Address, MSDTC Network Name, ...

Method 2

Or Go to Administrative Tools, Services, and then stop all SQL Server related services manually

Which method is the correct one ?

• You can shut down SQL Server 2005 failover cluster. Already your instance is running on the other server. When you will restart server it will work.

Depends: Why you need to shut down? Are you going to bring it back as cluster? or would like to retire cluster? ...

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• As we need to shift from our existing SAN to a new one.

But I don't know : Method 1 or Method 2, which one is the correct one ?

• I guess Method 1 should be fine.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• If you use method 2, the cluster will consider that a failure and attempt to fail it over. The only way to shut down an instance on a cluster is through the cluster admin.

Tim White

• I have seen it before that when doing an operation like this (using method 2), once the services are down, they dont easily come up. Suggest method 1!

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• :w00t: Totally agree, We reboot our servers every now and then for many reason, patches, etc. Once we had a guy who, with his best intention. Reboot the server without shutting down the cluster first. For him, everything was working fine (he was a system administrator, but didn't have any cluster experience) Well, This task has to be done on Sundays in a maintenance window, which he did.

To make the story short, On Monday the main application whose database resides in the cluster, was getting some errors and didn't work for two days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had to bring the cluster down quite a few times to stabilize the environment. Finally it work!! :w00t:

No, we didn't fired the guy!! It was an error many of us can make if you do not know how. Since we documented all and all have been working fine for a couple of years now. Option 1 please :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

• We need to shutdown both nodes of our cluster (active/Passive) this weekend for a SAN migration.

for a step by step guide what node do i start with and do i just got to the node, goto cluster admin and stop all the resources under the resources tab. then shutdown the server.

Do i need to stop cluster services as well( right click on node and stop cluster service?)?

do i need to do that on both nodes?

Does it matter what order i bring the servers back.

Thank you

Andy

• Hey there,

Ok so there are different ways but here's what I would do:

1. Shut down Passive node (this will prevent a fail over).

HERES WHERE ADVISE MAY DIFFER

2. On the active node, open 'SQL Server Configuration Manager' and shut down the services (Agent then other Server-Services and Server).

3. Now you can shut down the Active node

4. Ensure to start it and bring SQL online befire restarting Passive node.

OF COURSE: you could just go from Step 1. to shut down of Active node, but I think my way is safer.

Good luck and have a happy xmas. 🙂

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply