How to schedule an SSIS package to run on SQL Server 2005

• I am fairly new to SSIS packages and I have created several of the packages, but was wondering if you can please give me some input on how to schedule these packages on SQL Server 2005.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

Manisha

• Follow these steps:

1) Create a new SQL Server Agent Job

2) On the job step tab, add a new job step.

3) On the General page of the new job step, choose "SQL Server Integration Services Package" as the type.

4) The page should change to a SSIS specific page, where you fill in how to find the package and lots of other SSIS configuration options.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Thanks Kathi.  That worked.

• I'd recommend that you don't use the SSIS job subsystem though. Read here: http://wiki.sqlis.com/default.aspx/SQLISWiki/ScheduledPackages.html

-Jamie

• Thanks Jamie. 

Will look into using OS step type.

Thanks,

Manisha

• Hi

I was wondering how to do this for legacy DTS, Under sql server agent > add new job - I dont have a DTS package as a job type.

How do I do this?

thanks

ps - sorry if I am hijacking your thread

• Have u converted the legacy packages to the new SQL Server 2005 format? 

• [font="Comic Sans MS"]Hi,

I imported Sql Server 2000 DTS packages to SQL Server 2005, I Executed the imported package in BIDS and Management Studio, in both it is executing fine and giving success message,

But when i try this packages to execute as job and click ok it is giving me following error

"Unable to cast object of type "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SimpleObjectKey' to type

'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobObjectKey'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

Can you please tell me how to solve this error. i am searching solution for this error since from long time, Please guide me[/font]

• Scheduling legacy DTS packages on SQL 2005:

[1] SQL Server Agent > Job > Job Step

[2] Step type: Operating system (CmdExec)

[3] Command: DTSRun /S "SERVERNAME" /U "USERNAME" /P "PASSWORD" /N "DTSPackageName"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply