How to save SSIS package file (.dtsx) in the database residing in the server which does not have BI?

• I created a SSIS package in a Development machine. I saved the .dtsx file in database.

Then I did set up job schedule which pointed to the package which I just saved in database.

It worked as champ.

Now I need to deploy the same package file(.dtsx) in the Production database. This Prod Server does not have BI.

I need to save the same package in the Prod database. That way I can setup the job schedule which will point to the

package residing in the database.

So, how can I import the .dtsx file and save the package in the database?

Regards

• If you want to save the package to the server you'll need to have Integration Services installed and running on the server you want to save it to.

• If by "saved in the database" you're referring to storing it MSDB rather than as a file system object or in an SSIS catalog, then all you really need to do is open up the package in BIDS, and while the package is open go to File--> "Save Copy of <package> As..." and then enter the appropriate SQL server/instance and package path.

If you have a more complex package with config files and logs then you might be better off creating a deployment utility (easily Google-able).

Alternatively, you could just place the DTSX you created, place it on the server you will be scheduling on, and then just have the SQL agent job execute the file rather than storing it in MSDB. There are a few methods you can use, but it really depends on how you want to maintain it.

-G

• What Greg said, combined with what ZZartin said.

If you want your job to use an Integration Services step to run the package, you need to have IS installed and running on the Prod box. But you can alternatively use a OS command step to run the package and you might not need IS running to do that.

Since all our boxes run IS, I can't tell you if the OS command step works without IS running / installed. But I think it would.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply