How to roll back the DB

• Hello,

I got a question (SQL Server 2005 SE). I have yesterday’s (10/18) 9 pm full backup and backup of log file (this is full recovery model). Also I have all previous differential backups: 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm. I need to roll back database to 10/17 point. Is it possible, and how to do it?

Many thanks.

• You can’t rollback a database into a state that it was before the backup was taken. If the only full backup that you have is from October 18, then there is no way to roll it back to the state that it was on October 17.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Thank you for bad news.

• Do you have a backup before 10/18?

Even on tape?

• Yes, we do have tape. I thought that the process to to roll back would be quite simple, because the process to get the tape is not always simple. :hehe:

Thanks.

• To restore a database to a particular point in time you need a full backup from before that time and all the log backups from the time of the full up to the time that you want to restore to.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You really need to "roll forward" from a full backup.

You need the most recent FULL backup from before the 17th. The you need the most recent differential before the "problem", then all the transaction log backups from the differential up to the "problem" time. You can use "STOPAT" with the final transaction restore to get to an exact recovery time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply