How to retrieve tables from multiple servers to a central server?

• I need to retrieve info from tables in msdb and load data into a database in a central server. MSDB are from multiple servers (SQL2000 & SQL2005). I need to automate this process. Using linked server is not an option in my case. How can I do it?

• you could use OPENQUERY or OPENROWSET

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• But openquery needs linkedserver. This is not what I want.

• I've pulled information from servers that are not linked using a DTS package. But all of those servers are 2000. I don't know if SSIS packages can support 2000 and 2005 databases.

• yes DTS or SSIS is a good approach and secure.

SSIS supports 2000 Databases.

• Check this series of articles out, he shows how to dynamically connect to N number of servers, you simple populate a servername table to be used by an ADO connection and it also details central error logging. Following this will give you exactly what you need, he even kindly supplies the package so you can use\alter it for your own needs.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61621/

Andrew

• Vivien Xing (6/26/2008)

But openquery needs linkedserver. This is not what I want.

OPENROWSET does not require a linked server. requires just the connection string to the remote.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• jezemine (6/26/2008)

Vivien Xing (6/26/2008)

But openquery needs linkedserver. This is not what I want.

OPENROWSET does not require a linked server. requires just the connection string to the remote.

This may help. Can I use windows authentication instead of userid/password? I have a table contains many server entries. I need to loop each server and get the data from each msdb to a central table.

• andrewkane17 (6/26/2008)

Check this series of articles out, he shows how to dynamically connect to N number of servers, you simple populate a servername table to be used by an ADO connection and it also details central error logging. Following this will give you exactly what you need, he even kindly supplies the package so you can use\alter it for your own needs.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services/61621/

Andrew

This is a good link. However, my central server is SQL2000. I can not use SSIS in this case.

• [font="Verdana"]Go for linked server, create linked server and make use of this linked server to issue select statement..[/font]

• Finally use OSQL -SserverN -E -iMyinput.sql to loop through all my servers and append the output to the same output file, then load the file to a table.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply