How to restrict SQL Server to use limited cores

• Hi,

I have Windows Server 2012 with 20 cores, Windows Server 2008 R2 with 4 core and SQL Server 2014 St core License is for 20 cores only.

I want to restrict SQL Server to use only 16 cores on Windows server 2012 because I want to install SQL Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 also.

How can I restrict SQL Server to use 16 cores only on Windows Server 2012 with 20 cores

Regards,

Nikhil P Desai

• If it's a licensing requirement, disable the extra cores in the BIOS. I know that's what you have to do for Enterprise if you don't want to use all cores, not 100% sure it it applies to Standard as well, or whether Standard will only use 16 of the cores by default.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Disabling cores does not reduce your licensing liability for SQL Server. Trust me - we've just been audited by Microsoft.

However, I notice for Windows 2016 (https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/2/9/.../WSSC2016LicensingFAQ.pdf ) you can disable cores in the BIOS to reduce licensing costs.

Wish they did the same for SQL 2016.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply